New Mexico Style Recipe Highlight: #3
August 14th, 2013 at 2:05 pm by michaelnewman under Face of Fox
Chef Christopher McLean — Bishop’s Lodge
- Prep Time (minutes): 20
- Cook Time (minutes): 30
- Ready In (minutes): 50
- Course: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American
- Servings: 10
- Occasion: Any
- Difficulty Level: Easy
- Easy: Click Here
- 2 Cups Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pound Mozzarella Grated
- ****For the Tomato Sauce****
- 1 large can tomatoes (diced/peeled) or 8 large tomatoes peeled/seeded
- ¼ cup tomato pasted
- 2 Tablespoons minced onion
- 2 Tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 Tablespoons minced shallot
- 1 Tablespoon dry thyme
- 1 Tablespoon dry oregano
- 1 Tablespoon dry basil
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- ½ cup white wine
- ****For the Cannelloni****
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ****Method for the Sauce****
- On medium heat, sauté onions, garlic, and shallots in 2 Tablespoons of vegetable oil for 1 minute.
- Add dry herbs and continue to cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add the white wine and reduce by ½.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, and water.
- Simmer 15 minutes on low/medium heat. Add more water for a thinner sauce.
- ****Method for the Cannelloni****
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and milk together.
- In another mixing bowl, blend the flour and salt/pepper.
- Take sliced eggplant and dip in the flour bowl to dust each piece.
- Put slices in the milk/egg mixture.
- Return to the flour blend (try not to have excess egg/milk on each slice)
- In a sauté pan, on medium-high heat, pan fry the eggplant slices.
- When light brown, turn the slice and continue to pan fry until both sides are a light golden brown.
- Mix ¾ pound of mozzarella with ¼ cup of sauce.
- Roll the mozzarella mix inside each slice of eggplant, like enchiladas.
- Put in an oven-safe dish and top and bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Top with tomato sauce and remaining shredded mozzarella.
Tags: FOF, NM STYLE, Recipe