2 KASA This Morning December 3, 2013December 3rd, 2013 at 6:59 am by 2 KASA FOX under 2 KASA This Morning
Question of the Day
- How has playing a musical instrument impacted your life?
On 2 KASA This Morning
Finding Christmas items in some stores may be a challenge, but that is definitely not the case at The Christmas Shop in Albuquerque’s OldTown. They are a local business where you can find just the right item to dress up your holiday celebration and show that you got it in New Mexico. David Romero stopped by there yesterday to check out what they have to offer.
Over the hill and through the woods to grandmother’s house we go, so you’ve got your holiday travel plans all set. But what do you do if you can’t take man’s best friend with you? How about doggy daycare? Albuquerque has a number of them including Canine County Club and Feline Inn, just named best doggy daycare by Albuquerque The Magazine. Joining us is Jeff Copeland, the day care’s general manager.
During the holidays a lot of travel is involved. And while you plan accordingly for you and your kids, planning for another important part of your family, your pet, needs to take place. Joining us now is Roxann Wigen a manger from Fetch! Pet Care to talk about traveling with your pets or what you need to do when you leave them at home.
If your kids are looking for a great winter hobby, why not pick up a guitar. Research shows music helps kids with all different things in their lives, including school, social activities and more and who knows they could be the next Santana. One place they can take lessons here in Albuquerque is at Kinder-Guitar. Rodney Burr owns the studio and David Migliaccio is a student there.
You know the holidays are about consuming sweets and goodies left and right, with many people hosting holiday parties or some looking for stocking stuffer gifts, there’s always candy. Again, this is not only for the holidays, but year round for Buffett’s Candies in Albuquerque, although this is their busy season. David Romero made another stop there in his trek across town and brings us this sweet story.
More than 30,000 ballots later, the winners of Albuquerque The Magazine’s annual Best of The City readers’ poll are out. Here with us now is this year’s winner of the best bakery Christopher Morales, owner of Gold Crown Panaderia.
The holidays are full of food, but which holiday foods are safe and unsafe for your pet? Here with us now is Fetch Pet Care sitter, Roxann Wigen.
One of my favorite parts of the holidays is decorating! Here with me now is Tiffany Price, Michaels craft specialist.
Pet Travel Safety Tips
I. Traveling by air
- If size and finances allow have your pet travel in the passenger compartment with you;
- If pet must travel in cargo hold, make certain your pet is in a sturdy, well built, airline approved travel crate and include a watering device – I suggest an “on demand” water bottle such as used for gerbils or guinea pigs
- Make sure to have your pets health and vaccine records and emergency contact info with you or attached to carrier.
II. Traveling by car:
- If your pet is small enough, keep them in a sturdy carrier;
- If you have a larger dog, I recommend a dog safety harness – these devices integrate into the car seat belt system and keep pooches safely contained;
- Or keep fido in the back cargo area behind a vehicle pet gate.
- Bring your pets bed, regular food and toys so they have familiar items to help manage stress levels.
III Leave your pet home
- Check them into one of the many nice boarding facilities around the metro area;
- Or, keep them at home in their own quiet and familiar environment by contracting for home pet sitting services such as offered by FETCH PetCare. You pet stays in its house and the sitter comes in to provide feeding, potty breaks, walks, play time or just some quiet pets and scratches.
Today is the final day to register for Toys for Tots.
You can do so by going to the Los Griegos Health and Social Service Center at 1231 Candelaria Road in northwest Albuquerque. Registration is from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m.
To register you need to bring a valid ID, the child or children’s birth certificate and current proof of address.
Deal of the Day
For a limited time only, you can get $5 for $10 worth of frozen yogurt at Yoyo Bliss.
Job of the Day
Concord Hospitality at the Double Tree in Albuquerque is looking for a front desk clerk. In that position you would be responsible for assisting guests and maintaining high standards of service. For details on how to apply»
Fetch! Pet Care: http://www.fetchpetcare.com/albuquerque/
Golden Crown Panaderia: http://goldencrown.biz/wp/
Canine Country Club: http://www.caninecountryclub.com/
Kinder Guitar New Mexico: http://kinderguitarnm.com/?page_id=14
Michaels, Arts & Crafts: http://www.michaels.com/
Buffett’s Candies: http://buffettscandies.com/
Holiday Pet Safety: http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/pet-owners/seasons/winter-holiday-pet-poison-tips/
Toys for Tots: http://www.cabq.gov/family/events/register-now-toys-for-tots-2013-3/